Friday, July 25, 2008

Whip It Up Week #3: Chocolate Brownie Cookies

So I thought since this week's theme was old favorites I would try a new spin on an old favorite. My parents had to make Chocolate Brownie Cookies for their gourmet club dinner on Saturday night so I thought I could help out and make these cookies for them. It being a new spin on an old favorite - brownies.

I am not sure where the recipe came from, I just know that it is from their gourmet club which gets their recipes from various sources depending on the theme for the dinner.
So here it is:
Chocolate Brownie Cookies
Makes 5 dozen cookies (no way - it only made 4 dozen and I can't imagine them being any smaller)

1/4 cup all purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/8 teaspoon salt

2 large eggs

2/3 cup sugar

1/2 tablespoon brewed espresso (optional)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

5 oz. extra bittersweet chocolate, chopped

2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped

3/4 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degree. Lin baking sheets with parchment paper.

Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.

Briefly whip eggs to break them up in an electric mixer bowl. Add the sugar, espresso, and vanilla. Beat on high speed for ten minutes, until tripled in volume.

While eggs are whipping, place the butter in the top of a double boiler or a metal bowl suspended over a pot of simmering (not boiling) water, and scatter the bittersweet and unsweetened chocolate on top. Heat until butter and chocolate melt. Remove from heat and stir the butter and chocolate until smooth.

Gently fold chocolate mixture into the egg mixture until partially combined (there should still be some streaks)

Add the flour to the batter and carefully fold in. Then fold in the chocolate ships. Let batter rest for ten minutes during which time it will thicken slightly.

Drop batter by heaping teaspoons onto the prepared baking sheets and bake until puffed and cracked, about 8 to 10 minutes (mine took the full 10). Cool on a wire rack before removing from baking sheet.

Question time:

Was the recipe easy to follow? It was relatively easy, but with double boiling and parchment paper and folding, it was a bit fussy for me.

Did the dish taste good? The cookies were very good. I'll be interested to find out if they ever get crunchy, for now they are very chewy.

Would you ever make it again? Probably not. It was just too much work - three types of chocolate, the double boiler, etc. I will stick to the boxed brownies for me next time.

1 comment:

RA said...

Yikes, that does sound fussy. I tried out the America's Test Kitchen brownie recipe earlier this year, and I thought it was a happy medium between using a boxed mix and going crazy.