Friday, July 11, 2008

Whip It Up: Recipe #2 - Corn Bread

So this week, J and I did a great job of planing our meals on Sunday night and then making each of the planned meals. This really helped me, because for once, I only went to the grocery store one time all week! Also, all but one day was a new recipe, so I could have used anyone for Whip It Up this week.
  • Monday we made fish tacos - J liked them more than I did
  • Tuesday we made scallops and zucchini - it was a bad day & night so nothing would have tasted good. I think J undercooked the scallops but we cooked at 9:30 at night and neither of us were in the mood!
  • Wednesday we made spicy honey-brushed chicken thighs - not for everyone but they were done in less than 10 min and SUPER easy. If I had remembered to take pictures I would have included this in Whip It Up this week
  • Thursday we made a recipe I found and made last summer - Salmon BLTs. I have no idea where it came from, but its very good! If you want it I'll send it to you.
  • Friday we made ribs - a family recipe that we got from Cook's Illustrated (except we use Penzey's Galena Street spice rub instead of the cook's illustrated one and we don't bother with the wood chips - really we just use Cook's Illustrated for the brining directions) and corn bread. J wanted to try home made corn bread. I figured doctoring a box recipe was better so I found this recipe and read the review that said this: "I have been making this for years. It is sooo easy and delicious. I was nervous about the amount of rosemary as it seemed like a lot for this strong flavored herb but it is wonderful. It goes great with ribs, chicken and turkey." Perfect I thought - J loves rosemary so no problem if its too much and its good with ribs - perfect!
Long story short - here it is ( I made half of the recipe):

Ingredients

2 8 1/2-ounce boxes corn-bread mix (I used an 8 oz bag)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 8-ounce container plain yogurt
2 7-ounce cans whole-kernel corn, drained
1 tablespoon dried rosemary leaves
Preparation
Heat oven to 400ºF. Lightly coat a 13-by-9-inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside. Stir all the ingredients together.
Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes or just until golden. Remove to a wire rack to cool. When cool, cut lengthwise into 3 strips and then crosswise into quarters. Cut each square into 2 triangles. (The corn bread can be made ahead to this point. Remove from pan, wrap in foil, and freeze for up to 3 months.) To serve, thaw and reheat in the foil in a 325ºF oven for 10 minutes or until heated through.
Time-saver: You don't have to bake from scratch. Doctor an everyday corn-bread mix to help it achieve holiday status.
Yield
24 servings

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 107(0% from fat); FAT 3g (sat 1g); CHOLESTEROL 19mg; CALCIUM 35mg; CARBOHYDRATE 17g; SODIUM 261mg; PROTEIN 3mg; FIBER 2g; IRON 1mg

Real Simple, NOVEMBER 2003

Question time:
  • Was the recipe easy to follow? Very - I always love recipes that don't require a lot of measuring or heavy equipment to make
  • Did the dish taste good? Not really, it wasn't nearly sweet enough, but we might freeze it for stuffing purposes
  • Would you ever make it again?Nope - still in search of a good corn bread recipe

Sorry I didn't follow the theme again, maybe later on in the week I'll make something with cheese....

1 comment:

RA said...

Wow! You are a new-recipe-testing maniac!

I have a foolproof cornbread "recipe" that is totally a cheater way:

1) Mix up a package of Jiffy corn muffin mix according to the directions.
2) Stir in an 8-ounce can of creamed corn.
3) Bake according to package directions.

It's completely un-gourmet, but it is always popular. And at least where we are, Jiffy mix is ridiculously cheap, so I just go with it.